I remember watching a popular local cook show in Malaysia called Ho Chak. It is a 30 minute weekly show whereby the 2 young hosts would go around and introducing the delicious food in Malaysia. "Ho Chak" means good food in Hokkien (a Chinese dialect) and the show is extremely popular. Who doesn't like to watch a show on good food, though it would be much better eating it right?
In one of the episodes, they introduced a new segment at the end of the show whereby the 2 hosts would cook one recipe. This was quite a new twist to the show as the audience are so used to seeing the 2 host going around only eating. It was refreshing to see the 2 amateur hosts now attempt to cook.
I was pleasantly surprised by what they came up with as it was simple yet interesting. Infact I remember it till now. So I would say they made quite an impression as I actually made th dish myself the first opportunity I had after watching the show.
It was a simple fried chicken with a little twist on the condiments.
Simple ingredients :
1. 2 whole leg of chicken - light marinade of salt, pepper, light soy sauce and corn starch.
2. 5-6 cloves of garlic - chopped fine
3. 1 TBSP large red chilli - chopped fine
4. 1 cup of scallion - chopped
5. 1/2 cup Ginger chopped fine
6. Oil for frying
Simple Steps :
1. In a pan of hot oil, deep fry the whole leg of chicken. There is no flour or bread coating for the fried chicken. Just plain fried chicken with no think coatings. Deep fry till the chicken if cooked and golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
2. In a new pan, with 2 TBSP of oil, put in the chopped garlic, ginger and saute till fragrant. Add the red chillies and scallions. Add a pinch of salt with 2 dash of sesame oil. Scoop up and put on top of the fried chicken as garnishing.
2 simple steps but this adds a new taste to the plain fried chicken.